Highway to Reopen After Sulfuric Acid Spill

A leaking valve on a tanker truck was blamed for the spilling of 5,000 gallons of sulfuric acid onto Interstate 24 on Monday evening. Officials reported that a Palm Freight truck from LaVergne was traveling along the interstate when the valve began leaking, thus causing the flammable, caustic chemical to spill along the highway. The driver had picked up the load of acid in Clarksville Monday evening, but did not notice it was leaking until he was in Nashville. He then pulled off on the James Robertson Parkway exit ramp, and in attempting to stop the leak, suffered burns to his arms and eyes. He, as well as another motorist driving behind the tanker, were transported to a local hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.

The Office of Emergency Management (OEM) was called and sent a specially trained hazardous materials cleanup company to assist in the cleanup, as well as sending a Hazmat crew. According to authorities, they believe the spill to be contained within a half mile from where the driver stopped the tanker. Although the sulfuric acid reportedly ran off into some water drains, Metro Water Services officials said they do not believe there is any danger to the water supply. After Hazmat crews replaced contaminated soil along the highway with new soil, the fire department deemed the area safe, and the ramp was reopened early Thursday morning.

Clarksville police spokesperson Jim Knoll said that after a motorist reported seeing a substance leaking from the tanker truck, a portion of the Clarksville roadway was closed on Monday evening as crews worked to clean up that roadway. Other stretches of roadways closed for cleanup included Cumberland Drive and Zinc Plant Road Bridge. Motorists driving through any of these areas Monday evening are encouraged to check the tires on their vehicles for any damage. Drivers can call Palm Freight Systems for more information if they are concerned about damage to their vehicles.

Sulfuric acid is a highly corrosive mineral acid that can cause very serious damage upon contact, causing not only chemical burn upon contact, but secondary thermal burn, as well. If sulfuric acid contacts eyes, permanent blindness may result. The acid can also cause irreversible damage to internal organs and may be fatal if swallowed.

If you or a family member has been injured by contact with sulfuric acid due to the negligence of another party, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Contact an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss your injuries and to learn more on pursuing justice for your suffering and losses.

Posted in:
Updated:

Comments are closed.

Contact Information