Car Crashes into Power Pole in Antioch, Leaving Thousands without Electricity

Posted in Car Accident,Personal Injury,Tennessee Accident Law on November 30, 2015

Car Crashes into Power Pole in Antioch, Leaving Thousands without Electricity

Nearly 5,000 residents of Antioch, Tennessee, were left without power for several hours after a woman crashed her SUV into a power pole.

According to a report by wkrn.com, the accident occurred around 6 a.m. on Cane Ridge Road near the intersection of Bell Road. The woman told reporters that the accident occurred when she began to lose traction in her tires and they started to slip, causing her to lose control of her vehicle. The woman’s vehicle then crashed into a cable supporting the power pole.

The woman also said that she attempted to strike the power pole rather than let her vehicle possibly collide with a bus stop nearby where children were waiting for their bus to pick them up.

As a result of the accident, around 4,700 residents of Antioch and the surrounding areas were left without power while workers addressed the wreckage and fixed the broken power pole and cables that were severed in the collision.

What Should You Do if You’re Involved in a Single-Vehicle Accident?

Single-vehicle accidents are often less complicated from a legal standpoint than accidents involving multiple accidents, but there is still a strict protocol that you should follow to protect your health, your rights, and your finances—especially if you damaged another person or company’s property.

If you’re ever involved in a single-vehicle accident, do your best to follow these tips:

  • Call 911 and report the accident if you caused property damage or suffered injuries.

Running off the road and scratching your paint job or denting your fender generally doesn’t require a call to 911. However, a single-car accident that causes damage to another person or party’s property, whether it’s a vehicle, home, guard rail, or telephone pole—or any accident that causes you and your loved ones to suffer injuries should be reported to police. In addition to letting police file a report of the accident, calling 911 also gives you access to emergency medical responders who can treat you at the accident scene.

  • Turn your car off if it is severely damaged and limit your movements if you are injured.

After a single-vehicle accident, it’s important to be aware of the possibility that your vehicle could catch on fire—especially if the engine was damaged. Turning your vehicle off right away if it is undividable can help reduce that risk. It’s also important to keep yourself or your loved ones as still as possible if you think you suffered serious injuries during the accident. Sudden or extreme movements can cause head or neck injuries to become life-threatening.

  • Move your vehicle if it is in the path of oncoming traffic and you are able to do so.

If your vehicle occurred on a road with high-speed traffic, such as a major thoroughfare, highway, or interstate, you may be at risk for secondary accident due to other vehicles passing the accident scene. If you’re able to do so, move your vehicle to the shoulder of the road and wait for help to arrive. In Tennessee, accident victims are protected from legal ramifications for moving their vehicles to the side of the road and out of harm’s way after accidents.

Regardless of the circumstances that cause them to occur, single-vehicle accidents can have serious consequences for both drivers and passengers. Following the tips above can help make the aftermath of a single-vehicle accident less likely to seriously harm your health, while also reducing the risk that you may face serious legal or financial consequences as well.

If you or someone you love was injured in a car accident caused by a negligent or careless driver, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and more. The Antioch auto accident attorneys at Matt Hardin Law have two decades of experience assisting people after their car accidents, and we want to help you, too. Just dial (615) 200-1111 or complete a free online consultation form.