Driver Crashes SUV into Davidson County Home

Posted in Car Accident,Personal Injury,Tennessee Accident Law on June 17, 2016

Driver Crashes SUV into Davidson County Home

A man was arrested after he crashed his SUV into a car and then a home in Nashville before fleeing the scene with two small children in his vehicle.

According to a report by WKRN.com, the incident occurred at around 7 a.m. on Millerwood Drive when the man crashed his Cadillac SUV into a vehicle that belongs to the mother of his two children. After impact, both vehicles rolled down a hill and into the home.

The home sustained major damage estimated at around $25,000 as a result of the crash. A police report of the incident says that the man then exited his vehicle and assaulted the mother of the two children before placing the two children inside his vehicle and fleeing the scene.

Metro Nashville Police officers were quickly called to the scene and attempted to stop the man before he left the area, but he drove away before they could apprehend him.

He was eventually taken into custody four miles from the incident scene. The man is being charged with multiple offenses, including evading arrest, vandalism, aggravated assault, and child neglect.

What Should You Do if a Vehicle Crashes into Your Home or Business?

Although the majority of auto accidents involve vehicles crashing into other vehicles or into objects on or near a roadway, some accidents involve cars, trucks, and SUVs crashing into businesses and residences.

The result of these crashes can be catastrophic, as the buildings may sustain tens of thousands of dollars in damage—not to mention the risk of injury faced by anyone inside the buildings at the time of the accidents. In some cases, buildings become so damaged that they are deemed uninhabitable due to structural problems.

If your home or business is damaged by a vehicle, take the following steps:

  • Call 911.

Even if no one inside the building is hurt, the driver and passengers in the vehicle that crashed into your home or business could be severely injured. Calling 911 right away means that a police officer will be able to fill out an accident report and emergency responders will be able to treat anyone who was injured during the crash.

  • Collect as much information about the accident as you can.

Take pictures of the accident scene as soon as you can. Document all damage to your home or business, including multiple angles of the crash scene and any cracks or damage to the foundation or other structural components of the building. In addition, request a copy of the police report and exchange contact information with the driver if he or she is able to do so. Finally, get in touch with a home repair business to find out how much money it will cost to fix the damage.

  • Contact your home or business insurance provider.

The cost of repairing your home or business after it has been damaged by a vehicle can be significant—especially if the building sustained damage to its foundation. In some cases, the building may be condemned by structural engineers and unable to be inhabited until major repairs take place. Your home or business insurance may help cover the costs of the repairs needed to fix the damage.

At Matt Hardin Law, we know that no two car accidents are alike. But we also know that all car accidents have the potential to cause victims to suffer serious injuries and face uncertain futures due to disabilities, expensive medical bills, and other accident-related expenses.

If you or someone you love was injured in an auto accident that was caused by a negligent or careless driver, our Nashville car accident lawyers want to speak with you. We have two decades of experience fighting for the rights of innocent victims like you, and we know what it takes to win. To get in touch with our legal team, dial (615) 200-1111 or complete a free online consultation form.