Tall Foliage Posing Dangers on Interstate 65 On-Ramp in Williamson County

Posted in Car Accident,Personal Injury,Tennessee Accident Law on July 14, 2015

Tall Foliage Posing Dangers on Interstate 65 On-Ramp in Williamson County

Tall grass and weeds growing near the on-ramp at Interstate 65 and Cool Springs Boulevard in Franklin, Tennessee, have become major safety concerns for drivers.

A staff report by wkrn.com states that some of the weeds in the median have grown to be up to seven feet tall, significantly reducing visibility for drivers and leading to many close calls on the interstate and the entrance ramp.

Because of the tall foliage, drivers who use the on-ramp are unable to see other vehicles as they merge into the same lane until they’re within a few feet of each other.

The Tennessee Department of Transportation indicated to WKRN that trimming the grass and weeds is a high priority, and the department also says that it pays attention to areas where high foliage can cause visibility issues for drivers.

TDOT representatives also stated that mowing is one of the biggest expenses for the agency due to the sheer amount of grass that needs to be cut on a regular basis throughout the state.

Matt Hardin Law’s team of Franklin car accident attorneys hopes that drivers exercise caution when driving near overgrown grass and weeds and that TDOT is able to address this issue soon.

What Can You Do if You See Dangerous Road Conditions?

If you come across a dangerous stretch of road while you’re driving, it’s important that you make note of it and alert the proper authorities to help reduce the risk for other drivers. Drivers in Williamson County have several options for reporting dangerous road conditions, including:

  • Contact the Williamson County Highway Department

Use the contact form on the Williamson County official website to submit a message concerning any dangerous road conditions you encountered anywhere in the county. Be specific and indicate the road and nearby landmarks where the dangerous road conditions can be found. The more information you provide in your report, the easier it will be for county road workers to locate the problem area.

  • Contact TDOT

TDOT’s HELP trucks constantly patrol busy interstates and highways in Tennessee near major cities, including Chattanooga, Knoxville, Memphis, and Nashville. HELP trucks and drivers are trained to help minimize traffic congestion and respond to incidents quickly and efficiently. Use the information on TDOT’s official website to dial the number for HELP trucks located in your area to report potentially dangerous road conditions and recent accidents.

  • Contact the police to report dangerous or drunk drivers

Environmental hazards aren’t the only dangers that drivers face on Tennessee’s roadways—another major risk factor is dangerous and drunk drivers. If you notice another driver who is driving aggressively or negligently and putting you or anyone else in danger, call 911 right away to report them. Provide the dispatcher with as much information as possible, including the make and model of the vehicle, the license plate number, the road it’s traveling on, and the traffic laws the driver violated. Police departments throughout Tennessee are dedicated to getting drunk and dangerous drivers off the road, and your tip may save a life.

Safe driving doesn’t mean just keeping yourself and your family out of harm’s way—it also means looking out for other drivers with whom you share the road. Thankfully, the resources above are great ways to report dangerous conditions and allow police and emergency responders the opportunity to address those situations before they cause serious injuries.

If you or someone you love was injured in a car accident caused by dangerous road conditions or a dangerous driver, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your lost wages, medical bills, and car repair expenses. Get in touch with our Franklin car accident lawyers today to find out how we can put our two decades of experience to work you and your family. Just dial (615) 200-1111 or fill out a free online form.