Montgomery County Police and Tennessee Highway Patrol Plan DUI Checkpoint

Posted in Car Accident,Drunk Driving,Personal Injury,Tennessee Accident Law on August 13, 2015

Montgomery County Police and Tennessee Highway Patrol Plan DUI Checkpoint

In an effort to reduce the number of DUI accidents on roadways in Clarksville, Tennessee, the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office and the Tennessee Highway Patrol are planning to run a roadside sobriety checkpoint next week.

According to a report by The Leaf-Chronicle, the checkpoint is scheduled for Aug. 21 on Zinc Plant Road in Clarksville. State troopers and deputies with the local sheriff’s office will be stationed at the checkpoint and evaluating drivers for signs of impairment, including things like:

  • Smell of alcohol on their breath
  • Watery or bloodshot eyes
  • Driving without a seatbelt or headlights on
  • Slurred speech
  • Confusion and disorientation
  • Poor judgment

The checkpoint will also be used to determine if drivers are under the influence of drugs or prescription medications—both of which can have effects similar to those caused by alcohol intoxication.

Representatives from the THP say that sobriety checkpoints are highly effective in cutting down injures related to impaired driving in Tennessee and throughout the country. Drivers who are intoxicated or impaired due to alcohol or drugs kill more than 16,000 people and injure more than 300,000 people on roadways in the U.S. every year.

Top Ways You Can Reduce Drunk and Impaired Driving in Tennessee

At Matt Hardin Law, our Clarksville car accident attorneys appreciate the efforts of the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office and the Tennessee Highway Patrol in their campaign to cut down on impaired driving. But we also know that it’s up to drivers throughout Middle Tennessee to do their part as well.

To help reduce drunk and intoxicated driving accidents in the area, try to follow these tips:

If you’ve been drinking:

  • Call a cab or use a ride-sharing service.

Cabs and ride-sharing services are easier than ever to contact using smartphones. If you’ve been drinking and need a safe ride home, contact a professional service to pick you up. The fare is much cheaper than the fines and insurance premiums you’ll pay for a DUI charge, and you’ll also help protect yourself and others on the roadway.

  • Never let anyone else who is intoxicated drive your vehicle.

It can be tempting to hand your keys over to someone else if you’ve been drinking—but be wary of allowing anyone who was also drinking to drive your vehicle. In addition to putting both of your lives at risk, if the person driving your vehicle receives a DUI charge, you can receive one as well.

If you’re driving and suspect a drunk driver:

  • Keep your distance.

If you see a driver swerving, failing to maintain a lane, erratically speeding up or slowing down, or driving in a dangerous manner, keep your distance from his or her vehicle. By putting more space between your vehicle and the other car, the more time you’ll have to react to potentially dangerous situations.

  • Call the police.

Police throughout Middle Tennessee are committed to taking drunk and intoxicated drivers off the street, and if you see one, it’s important to report it as soon as possible. Provide police with an accurate description of the vehicle, including its make, model, and color, as well as the vehicle’s current location.

Drunk and intoxicated driving is a serious offense with serious consequences—and for good reason. Impaired drivers put themselves and others at extreme risk for injuries due to accidents on Tennessee’s roadways, but people who are both contentious enough to find alternate routes home if they’ve been drinking and to report drunk drivers they see on the road can play a big role in reducing these risks.

If you or someone you love was injured by a drunk or impaired driver, our Clarksville car accident lawyers want to help you get compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and more. To speak with our legal team, call Matt Hardin Law by dialing (931) 274-7788 or filling out a free online form today.