Nashville Man Suffers Serious Injuries after Being Struck by Vehicle

Posted in Car Accident,Pedestrian Accident,Personal Injury,Tennessee Accident Law on September 8, 2015

Nashville Man Suffers Serious Injuries after Being Struck by Vehicle

A Nashville man was struck by a vehicle and critically injured Sunday night.

According to a report by wkrn.com, the accident occurred around 8 p.m. when the driver made a right turn onto Murfreesboro Pike from Millwood Drive. As the driver was completing the turn, she noticed the man standing in the roadway in the path of her vehicle and said she was unable to avoid striking him.

Police also stated that the man wasn’t using a crosswalk when he was struck by the woman’s vehicle while crossing the street.

Emergency responders transported the man to Vanderbilt University Medical Center to receive treatment for his injuries and he’s currently listed in critical condition.

Police are still investigating the cause of the accident it’s unclear at this time if the driver will face charges for striking the pedestrian.

Safety Tips for Drivers and Pedestrians

Preventing pedestrian accidents requires alertness and caution on the part of both drivers and pedestrians themselves. Some of the best safety tips for preventing these accidents depend on your role as either a driver or pedestrian and can include the following:

As a driver, it’s important that you:

  • Drive slowly through residential areas and school zones

Although pedestrians can be found walking in or near any roadway, including highways and interstates, they’re most commonly encountered in residential areas and near schools. As a driver, it’s important that you slow down and proceed with caution in these areas—especially near designated crosswalks.

  • Observe and follow posted speed limits in residential areas and speed zones

In addition to being alert and cautious when driving through areas where the presence of pedestrians is more likely, you should also make sure that you drive at or below the posted speed limit at all times. Most residential areas and school zones have reduced speed limits for good reason—they help protect pedestrians and significantly reduce the risk of accidents.

As a pedestrian, it’s important that you:

  • Cross only at designated crosswalks

Crosswalks are installed in residential areas, in urban areas, and near school zones to both help pedestrians cross the road safely and to also alert drivers to the presence of pedestrians. To significantly reduce your risk of being injured in a pedestrian accident, always cross the street using crosswalks. If there’s a light, only cross when you get the “walk” signal and never try to beat the timer.

  • Wear colorful and reflective clothing if walking at dusk, dawn, or at night

Being highly visible to drivers is vital for your safety as a pedestrian. If you walk during the early morning hours, during the evening, or during the night, it may be difficult for drivers to see you—even if you cross at designated crosswalks and stay in well-lit areas. Wearing bright, colorful, and reflective clothing can make you much more visible to approaching drivers and help keep you safe as your cross the street or walk on the sidewalk or shoulder near the roadway.

Pedestrian accidents can cause injuries that range from debilitating to life-threatening for victims. The roads throughout Middle Tennessee are equipped with safety features to make them safer for pedestrians, like sidewalks, crosswalks, school zones, and wide shoulders, but it’s up to the people who share the roads in the mid-state area to truly make them a safer place for everyone.

If you or a loved one was injured in a pedestrian accident caused by a negligent driver, get in touch with the Nashville car accident attorneys at Matt Hardin Law today. Our law firm has two decades of experience helping injured victims and their families get compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and more after accidents that weren’t their fault, and we can put our experience to work for you, too. Just dial (615) 200-1111 or fill out a free online form.