Putnam County Sheriff’s Deputy Involved in Car Accident

Posted in Car Accident,Personal Injury,Tennessee Accident Law on July 1, 2015

Putnam County Sheriff’s Deputy Involved in Car Accident

A deputy with the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office was involved in a car accident last week when his patrol car was struck by another vehicle driven by a woman from Monterey, Tennessee.

A staff report by the Herald-Citizen indicates that the accident occurred around 6 a.m. when the deputy was traveling home after completing his overnight shift. The deputy, who was driving in the westbound lanes of Highway 70 East in his patrol car, was turning around to check on a deer he found lying in the road when his vehicle was struck by a car.

The driver of the other vehicle attempted to avoid the deputy’s patrol car, but was unable to maneuver out of the way and struck the patrol car as the deputy was attempting to turn around and head in the opposite direction.

Emergency crews with the Tennessee Highway Patrol responded to the accident scene to clear the debris and keep traffic moving smoothly during the early morning hours.

The accident is currently still under investigation by the THP.

What Should You Do If You’re Involved in an Accident with a Police Car?

Being involved in a car accident is always an undesirable and even traumatic experience, but it can be even worse if the accident involves a police car or off-duty police officer. No matter how the accident occurred, there are a few steps you should always take if you’re involved in an accident with a police officer or police car, including:

  • Get medical attention.

Ultimately, a car accident is a car accident, regardless of who else is involved. If you or anyone else was injured in the accident, your first priority should always be getting medical attention. Protecting your health, the health of your loved ones or passengers, and the health of anyone else involved in the accident takes precedent over everything else.

  • Wait for the police officer to file an accident report.

If the police officer involved in the accident is on duty, he or she may file an accident report at the scene. However, if the officer is off duty, you may have to wait for other police to arrive to file an accident report. Never leave the accident scene until an accident report is filed, and never admit to causing the accident—even if you’re questioned by the officer involved in the accident or other officers who respond to the accident scene.

  • Call an attorney.

Just because your accident involved a police officer or police car doesn’t mean that you lose your chances of receiving compensation for your accident-related expenses. However, because those types of accidents are often more complex and require a different approach from standard car accident claims, it’s important that you contact an experienced Cookeville auto accident attorney right away.

  • Contact your insurance provider.

All auto insurance providers require that their policyholders report accidents right away, so your next step should be to call and tell your provider about the collision. If you wait too long, you can jeopardize your chances of receiving compensation.

Matt Hardin Law’s team of Cookeville car accident lawyers knows how stressful a crash can be for you and your entire family. But the stress you feel from the accident also may be heightened significantly if the crash involved a police officer. Don’t let those circumstances dissuade you from pursuing a claim for compensation—especially if you or someone you love suffered injuries and faces expensive medical bills and lost wages.

Our legal team has two decades of experience fighting for the rights of injured victims, and it’s our goal to make sure you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us today by dialing (931) 754-1188 or fill out free online consultation form. We’ll fight for you and your family every step of the way.